Translate

Friday, March 23, 2012

Pecan Pie Bar Cookie Recipe and The Hunger Games!!


Happy Friday! My favorite day of the week has rolled around again! I'm super excited because The Hunger Games comes out in theaters this weekend. I'm a huge fan of the books, so I can't wait to see how they adapted the first novel for the big screen! I can barely wait to be seated in our favorite spot with that big tub of buttery popcorn, icy drinks, and hear the words "Ladies and gentlemen, let the 74th annual Hunger Games begin!"     

 I'm team Peeta!



So excited to see this movie!!!

Yesterday I mentioned baking pecan pie bars. I love having fresh baked goodies for my son when he comes home from school. Oh, how I'll miss doing this when he goes off to college in August! Empty nest syndrome is already making an appearance for me. My heart aches when I think of his room being quiet and empty. Him not coming through the door around 4pm, hungry, smiling, and full of the exciting news of his school day. It seems like only yesterday I was holding my newborn son in my arms. I created a cozy haven in which to nurture him. A loving home from which he could grow and discover the world, while at the same time be sheltered and protected. Now he's learned and experienced everything he can here. In order to move forward in life he must move on. This place I've created for my little one is quickly becoming obsolete. It's a difficult realization and it tears at my heart, but I need to snap out of this or I'm going to cry again. I'm going to take advantage of these last few months to really spoil him.

We like our desserts to be gooey and chewy, so these pecan pie bars were just the ticket. I finally found a moment to take a quick photo (above) and I have the recipe for you today. These scrumptious treats are amazingly simple to make and are even more delicious than pecan pie. There's a more balanced crust/filling/pecan ratio, plus you can just pick them up and eat them with your fingers. What's not to love? Give them a try and I guarantee you'll never want to bake from the boxed mixes again. The recipe makes a big 15x10 pan so you'll have plenty to share. I know Christmas is a long way off, but I wanted to mention how perfect these are for holiday gift giving (it's never too early to start planning!) 

Thank you so much for coming by and spending a bit of your precious time with me today! My best wishes for a wonderful weekend and 'may the odds be ever in your favor!' Hugs, Nancy

Here's the recipe for the bars:

Pecan Pie Bars (courtesy of allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons margarine, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the sides and bottom of one 15x10 inch pan.

In a large bowl combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, margarine or butter and salt until the mixture resemble coarse crumbs. Press firmly into the prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes.

In a large bowl stir the eggs, corn syrup 1 1/2 cups white sugar, melted margarine and vanilla until blended. Stir in the chopped pecans. 

Spread the filling evenly over the hot crust. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until set. Let cool before slicing.



3 comments:

  1. yummy, thanks for sharing!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous items in your Pinterest, I am now following you!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa!
      I love Pinterest. I'm totally addicted to it. I have to set a timer for myself so it doesn't eat up huge chunks of my day-lol!

      Delete